Thursday, January 2, 2014

March 2013 - Panel Bag for bag challenge

Back In March someone suggest a bag challenge. I had a pattern and fabric sitting in the stash ready to go so I jumped straight on it.
 
The pattern is the Panel Bag by 'You Sew Girl' and I used a light denim from the stash as the main fabric. I think I had used the same denim in a kids clothing swap a few years ago. I wanted to use a grey fabric instead, but decided to go with the dark side of the denim after taking a few photos. The feature fabric was a fat quarter of an oriental print that came in a grab-bag of fat quarters that was one of my earliest purchases of quilting fabric.
 
 
The lining fabric was leftover from the backing of my big star quilt. I had pellon and interfacing in the stash, but decided that the silver bag rings wouldn't work and got some rectangular antique brass ones instead. The rings and a fancy zip were the only things I needed to buy to make it.
 
 

The bag was a fairly easy make - really clear instructions in the pattern and a walking foot helped get through the multiple layers.
I wasn't overly fussed with the pocket construction (probably because my lining fabric was fairly flimsy) but they have held up much better than expected, so I would probably do them the same way next time. The picture on the right shows a slip pocket that is divided into three compartments. Each is big enough to hold my Samsung Galaxy phone and they are handy for phone, sunnies and notebook and pen - the stuff you need to find quickly and don't want disappearing into the depths...

 
 
And here is the finished bag. It has become my everyday bag and I pretty much take it everywhere.
It is big enough to hold colouring book and pencils when we go out for dinner, as well as my normal wallet, phone, brush, make-up purse, water bottle and 'stuff' that stays in my bag for work. The straps are wide and comfortable on the shoulder and it is structured enough to keep the shape but still be soft and flexible.


No comments: