Saturday, January 10, 2009

Janome club quilt

This is the most recent WIP and still out in a prominent position in the sewing room.
My weekly (well, whenever I can attend) sewing group decided to spend a Saturday morning a month making this quilt and using it as a chance to learn different tricks and techniques on our machines. Most of the other ladies have fancy machines with hundreds of stitches but my little girl is a bit lacking in that department so I've been trying to learn things like pin-tucking and lace insertion to add interest where they are using fancy stitches.

This is a quilt-as-you-go project but I'm waiting to finish the front of my blocks so that I can use the left over fabric for the backing to create a double-sided quilt of sorts. Then it is a good chance to learn some new quilting techniques on the small blocks before joining them up. The blocks will be quite a bit smaller when finished.
The quilt is based on the Renaissance Quilt pattern by Monica Poole (Moonshine Designs). I've altered mine to include an enlarged centre panel, surrounded by twelve smaller blocks - two of each design. I'm thinking of adding a scrappy sashing between the blocks to break up the green. So four down, nine to go. I've got at least four more in various stages.
(Again, really dodgy photos. The colours are much prettier in real life)

No comments: